Re: Large original painting by J. Medina - Art Forum

Message #990, a followup to #790

Name: D K Matthews
Date:Sunday May 20, 2007 12:37:10 pm MDT
Subject:Re: Large original painting by J. Medina
Message:I have a painting by J. Medina as well. It is an oil painting of a path in a forest or woods with "La Barbera 113 Green, Willette/Storrs 10-28-82" written on the back. It is on 12x16 canvas (vertical) with fabulous raised textures and colors. It was given to me from my mother-in-law, who had inherited it from her late husband's estate.

I'm not sure where the painting originated, but I find it very interesting that this artist's paintings have surfaced in several parts of the world. (I am no in Alabama, but obtained the painting in 2005 while living in Orlando, FL.) Perhaps we've discovered a lost folk artist that should be recognized for his/her work?

I have another folk art painting by Avis Van Camp. (Van Camp is the surname of my mother-in-law's late ex-husband.) It is called "The Covered Bridge" and is dated Nove. 1967, Croswell, Michigan, US. the most interesting thing about this painting is that it has a poem dated Janary 25, 1968, in an envelope taped to the back which describes what the artist was thinking when s/he painted the 16x20 horizontal folk art scene. It begins "Last year, I painted a picture of a Coverd Beridge across a mountain stream ..." (Note: Van Camp is the surname of my mother-in-law's late husband, and this painting is by one of his relatives.)

I have no idea how much either of these paintings are worth, but they are valuable not only to collectors of folk art, but to museums and galleries as well. Some of Grandma Moses' paintings appraise for around $60,000.

Even though I am not related to either of these artists, I consider these paintings to be family heirlooms which are, of course, priceless.

I am interested in exchanging pics and info with any collectors of folk art, especially the paintings by artist J. Medina, as well as any info at all regarding Avis Van Camp, the artist and author of the "Covered Bridge".

First   |   Previous   |   Next   message in this thread

Previous thread   |   Next thread

Previous   |   Next   message by date

Help   |   Message index   |   Search

When you are caught up with the Art Forum, tap a link in the menu below:
Forums  |  Database  |  Artist List  |  Awards  |  Registration  |  Email  |  FAQ  |  Galleries  |  Directory  |  News  |  Home