Art Forum

Message #874, a followup to #840

Name: cwindham
Date:Saturday October 7, 2006 9:06:44 pm MDT
Subject:Re: Franz Weiss

Not sure if you ever got a reply. There are actually two different artist with this name. Based on your basic description, I suggest this is Franz Weiss who's son Anton Weiss is also a painter. They immigrated to the US in the late 1940's from Austria. Anton was about 8 or 10. I believe Franz had two sons, the other of which was a frame maker. They settled in middle TN, around/in Nashville. Anton still paints, most of his work is abstract, it is wonderful. Anton studied with Hans Hoffman at the NY League of Arts school. I have one of Franz's paintings, it is an abstract. Very unusual for him to do any abstract work, most of his work is landscape/pastoral type. I am not an appraiser at all, but depending on the size of your piece, I see them listed anywhere from $150 to $3000. Lyzon Gallery in Nashville may be able to help you.

I know little about the other Franz Weiss, but he did many scenes of New Orleans. Prints are common on ebay of his work.

Previous   |   Next   message in this thread

Previous thread   |   Next thread

Previous   |   Next   message by date

Help   |   Message index   |   Search

When you are caught up with the Art Forum, tap a link in the menu below:
Forums  |  Database  |  Artist List  |  Awards  |  Registration  |  Email  |  FAQ  |  Galleries  |  Directory  |  News  |  Home